Sunday, August 30, 2009

Checking In

Things are moving along here, but slowly. We have been working on paperwork here, and have run into a snag with Irra's Russian birth certificate. We had contacted the proper office in Russia by phone before we came back this time, and they told us they would honor the court decision and issue the birth certificate with out any problem, but now they say they need another document we can't get here in Ukraine. So we are working on this from a couple of angles, but it's not looking good so far. I'm scheduled to fly out next weekend, and right now it looks as if Vika and I may have to leave Irra until they get the paperwork settled. We hope to find out for sure tomorrow. It is still possible they might get it worked out, but if that happens I will probably have to stay another week. That's fine with me - it beats having to leave Irra and come back again. This is my 3rd trip to Ukraine for this adoption, and it's getting old.

Other than that, things are going well. The girls have moved from the camp back to the internaut, and I'm staying in a Sanitorium that is within walking distance. The concept of a Sanitorium still escapes me somewhat, but it's clean and quiet and includes all my meals, all for about $12/day. This one is for pregnant women, so I'm sort of out of place here, but it's nice to eat with other women, even if we can't communicate very well. I'm seeing the girls at least once a day; not as much as at camp, but it works for now.

Had a funny experience on the train the other day. This is not the night train, where you sleep, but rather more like a bus. There was a lady who sat next to me who started talking away in Russian, and when she found out that I was American, she had to get up and tell her husband, who was seated several rows away (the train was crowded, which is why Edward wasn't handy) that there was an American on the train. Of course, she said it loud enough for everyone in the next few rows to hear, so they all turned around to stare at this strange creature. I kind of waved "hello" and wanted to crawl under my seat from all of the attention. But everyone is very nice and the few times (like now) that I have ventured out without Edward people have been very helpful.

I need to run. Not sure what time the bus stops running on Sunday, but don't want to get stranded in town. Thanks for everyone's prayers and comments. You guys are great and I can't wait to get home!!

Love,
Sheri

2 comments:

  1. Oh Sherri what a time of it you all have had on this adoption. I am following you and praying for you. I know it can be discouraging when that paper work doesn't go well. This will all be worth it when you get home with your girls. In the big picture this is a short time but it can still be difficult. I am glad you found a cheap place to stay that is such a help. Your girls are so cute! Rhonda

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sheri,

    Of course they didn't tell us every paper they got for Karina's Russian bc, but I do remember some paper they had to get from the court telling her citizenship. From the very beginning, we were told that there is an agreement between Russia and Ukraine that Russia will honor Ukraine's court decisions. We were told that everyone in Russia was always so nice and willing to oblige, but when it came down to it, they didn't act that way. I can give you the phone number of our facilitator who did most of the work on the bc before we had to hire the 'expert' if you'd like?

    Rhonda's right. Right now it seems so hard and that it will never be over, but once it is all resolved and you're home, you'll look back and it won't seem to have been so long.

    June

    ReplyDelete