Sunday, December 6, 2009

Delay is not denial

Well, it looks like I won't be able to go get the girls before Christmas after all. I spoke to Edward yesterday and it turns out I mis-understood the time table, and it will take longer to get the passport than I thought. Even if I leave immediately, the passport will not be ready in time for me to make it home before Christmas. Greg and I have discussed it, and we just don't feel like I can be away from the family here for Christmas. It's been a difficult decision because we so badly want the girls home as soon as possible, but I my kids have already sacrificed so much, and it wouldn't be fair to them to be gone.

Edward is going to call the passport office tomorrow and see if there is any way they will process the passport faster, but he says he asked that when I was there before and they told him no. They will "expedite" the process in many places, but evidently not in Kharkov. Kind of figures, Kharkov is known for being hard to work with in general, and I can certainly confirm that!

Edward did say that he will call again tomorrow and double check, but at this point I don't think he will get a different answer. But you never know!

So I will wait until the government offices open in January, around the 10th. At least we have some time to plan this way!

I wish everyone a Blessed Christmas, and if things change, I will let you know!

2 comments:

  1. I'm sorry to hear you have to wait. I know it's disappointing, but when the government offices over there are closed, there's nothing you can do. If Edward can go ahead and file for the passport, then you can just go and pick them up with much less wait time.

    Our two boys were home alone while we were in Ukraine for Christmas 2007. It's best for you to be home with your family rather than be stuck in Ukraine. We hated being there on Christmas, but at the time, there was nothing we could have done. Flights out are difficult during December and January unless you already have a date. Our court date was January 10. We wanted to go home then, but we were stuck for a week longer because there were no available seats. Besides, if you can book your flights now, it will be cheaper.

    June

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi,

    I see your time to go is getting close. We'll be praying for you!

    June and Dennis

    ReplyDelete