Friday, February 19, 2010

Arrival in Ukraine - Feb. 17, 2010

I arrived last night about 5:00 pm after an uneventful day of flights. It's cold here for a Florida girl, about 20 or so. There is about a foot of snow on the ground, which i knew there would be, but still, it's a little startling for someone who hasn't seen snow in over 10 years! The sidewalks are hazadarous in dry weather, but covered with snow they're really a challenge. No one here has the concept of shoveling their sidewalks, to put it mildly!

Halya met me at the airport and I liked her instantly. She told me she was pleasantly suprised that I didn't have much luggage, two large carry on bags, but that made her happy. I really tried to keep the luggage to a minimum as know from experience how hard it is to get around here with too much stuff. We don't think of such things in the US, since we always just shove our stuff in the back of the car, but when you have to haul it on buses and subways and trains it become another matter all together.

She had great news for me - she spoke to another facilitator who is working with a spanish couple in Kharkov and that person said they just obtained two of the old style passports in 3 days for their children! They paid $1,500 for two passports, (ouch!)but I was expecting something along those lines anyway. So we have proof that the passports are available. Halya is hopefull that we can get the passport in a day or two, which is like a dream!

We stayed last night with her friends here in Kiev. Very nice couple with four children, three sons away at school in Poland (they are from there) and an adorable 13 year old daughter. It's the first time I've been in the home of an average Ukrainian family. They live on the 4th floor of a highrise somewhere in Kiev (one bus ride and two metros away from the airport, I couldn't find it again if my life depended on it) and it's very nice. They have been very friendly and served us fried potatoes and pork for dinner last night. And they have hot water! We'll go to Music Mission Kiev this morning and run some other errands, then tonight we take the overnight train to Kharkov to see the girls. I can't wait to see them again!

Off to brave the snow and ice. You guys have a great day!!

Sheri

No comments:

Post a Comment